Project Log - Historic Restoration - Updated 6/20/2017

Well, it took a few years, but the great folks at Mount St. Mary's got back to me and I've been contracted to restore the entrance.  Mount St. Marys’ Condominiums in Hooksett, NH is a 100-year-old building with historical significance.  It has been a Monastery, a College and is now Condominiums.

My task will be to restore the entrance to the original color and finish. I had to research a number of other buldings in the Boston area by the same architect  (T. Edward Sheehan) to validate the original color and finish.   The project will begin this summer with the doors.  They are 2" thick and solid oak.  The remainder is planned for the summer of 2018.
The entrance has been neglected for many years and the wood is severaly weathered.  Still, it's a towering and grand entrance way.  I'm really excited to be working on it.
Here's a look at the weathering
I'll be starting this one in Mid-June.  It will be worth following.


THE JOB BEGINS

On June 17th we started around 8:30 by pulling the doors.  Once we had those removed and loaded in my truck we needed to build a temporary enclosure to protect the vestibule while I have the doors in my shop.





So the temp entry is finished and now I can start working on the doors.  The first step will be to remove the old finish and the rotted wood to determine what I actually have to work with.  Stay tuned, this will be interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project Log -- Display Cabinet -- Updated 6/20/17

UPDATED: Project Log -- 1/29/2014 -- Belt Buckle Display Cabinet