Project Log -- Dining Room Table Repairs
Back to work for one of my favorite customers. This time it isn't a refinishing job. Instead, I need to effect some structural repairs. The sliders are gummed up and the structure needs some reinforcement. Also, at one point some modern casters were put on the legs and center post. They don't really match, but they provide some necessary rise. I'll be replacing those with turned wood balls. There is also a decorative wooden ring on one of the legs, but not on the other three. I'll need to fabricate the other three. I looked but I couldn't find anything even close in the premade suppliers.
Just some closeup views and detail shots.
Here you can see the resin and grunge build up that's caused the action to become a bit sticky.
Past repairs and years of wear have taken their toll on the joints and fasteners.
Missing Angle block
Clean up is underway
Here's a cleaned out channel.
I picked out the balls I will use for the feet. I think these will work out nicely.
I'll need to do a bit of cleanup on the legs . . .
Here's a video link about steaming warped table leaves to straighten them
The steaming worked in that it allowed me to work the wood flat, but I have to support it for some period of time with angle iron, or it will just warp back. I really am not sure how long it will take and I will recommend to the owner that i cap it with wood for aesthetic and safety reasons and leave the iron their permanently.
I got the ball feet finished and attached. I think they look and will definitely function better than the casters that were on there.
Another challenge was to close the seal on the table. It appears that someone rebuilt the table slightly off center. I think I would be opening a can of worms attempting to take it apart to the next level, so I cleaned up the edge and mated it up nicely.
Another look at the cleaned up joint.
Well, this one is in the bag. Signed, sealed and delivered. The customer was pleased with the end results. I got a couple of shots in situ. You can see the sideboard I did a few months ago, too.
The legs, rings and ball feet worked out well.
Only two leaves in this picture, but I think you get the idea.
On to the next project!