Project Log -- Dining Room Table Repairs

Back to work for one of my favorite customers.  This time it isn't a refinishing job.  Instead, I need to effect some structural repairs.  The sliders are gummed up and the structure needs some reinforcement.  Also, at one point some modern casters were put on the legs and center post.  They don't really match, but they provide some necessary rise.  I'll be replacing those with turned wood balls.  There is also a decorative wooden ring on one of the legs, but not on the other three.  I'll need to fabricate the other three.  I looked but I couldn't find anything even close in the premade suppliers.


Here's a look at the center column and casters.  You can get a feel for how massive this piece is and if you look closely, you can see part of the decorative ring on the rightmost leg.
Just some closeup views and detail shots.





I stacked the leaves to get a sense of how bad the warping is.  The 2nd from the bottom displays some pretty significant cupping.  It will be a challenge to straighten without damaging the piece or the finish.
When I extended this table for the first time it was almost like a comedy sketch.  I kept stretching and it kept going.  I had to set it up diagonally across my disassemble area to fully expand it.



Here you can see the resin and grunge build up that's caused the action to become a bit sticky.  




Past repairs and years of wear have taken their toll on the joints and fasteners.


Missing Angle block
Clean up is underway

 Here's a cleaned out channel.


 I picked out the balls I will use for the feet.  I think these will work out nicely.  

 I'll need to do a bit of cleanup on the legs . . .


Here's a video link about steaming warped table leaves to straighten them
http://youtu.be/OLHlEwC74pM

UPDATE 03/31/2014

The steaming worked in that it allowed me to work the wood flat, but I have to support it for some period of time with angle iron, or it will just warp back.  I really am not sure how long it will take and I will recommend to the owner that i cap it with wood for aesthetic and safety reasons and leave the iron their permanently. 




I got the ball feet finished and attached.  I think they look and will definitely function better than the casters that were on there.


Preparing to steam the other warped leaf

Another challenge was to close the seal on the table.  It appears that someone rebuilt the table slightly off center.  I think I would be opening a can of worms attempting to take it apart to the next level, so I cleaned up the edge and mated it up nicely.


Another look at the cleaned up joint.

 I had to hand shape the rings for the feet.  They came out nicely and I'll be attaching them soon.
 Boring stuff.  Gluing up some stock to make the missing rail support.

It's coming along nicely and I should be right on schedule with this one.

Well, this one is in the bag.  Signed, sealed and delivered.  The customer was pleased with the end results.  I got a couple of shots in situ.  You can see the sideboard I did a few months ago, too.

The legs, rings and ball feet worked out well.

Only two leaves in this picture, but I think you get the idea.

On to the next project!

Comments

Cindy Kelley said…
That looks like a lot of work. I'm sure the table will look awesome when you are done.
Dave said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave said…
Thanks Cindy. Yes, it will be a challenge, but it will be worth it when it is finished.
Kitty said…
How long is that table when fully open?!!?
Dave said…
I didn't actually measure it, but I'd guess around 12 feet.
CKDesigns said…
You did a great job restoring a piece of history.
Dave said…
Thanks Cindy! It was a very fulfilling project.

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATED: Project Log -- 1/29/2014 -- Belt Buckle Display Cabinet

Project Update -- 11/30/2015 Sewing Machine