UPDATED: Project Log -- 1/29/2014 -- Belt Buckle Display Cabinet

I've been commissioned to create a belt buckle display cabinet by a lovely lady whose husband has a large and fascinating collection of belt buckles.  We had a pleasant chat and came to some determinations about dimensions and requirements.  Basically, we're looking for a fairly narrow cabinet (5" - 6" wide).  30" wide and 50" tall + a bottom drawer.  Adjustable shelves (8) and a single framed glass front covering all of the display shelves.

Note the black, flocked back panel.

One big challenge is going to be selecting hinges that aren't going to be intrusive, but still capable of supporting a 2.5 foot wide, 50" tall piece of 1/8" oak-framed, plate glass.  I'm hoping to find a suitable flat piano hinge. Additionally, the cabinet itself will be very heavy as it will be of solid oak construction.  So, mounting it to the wall will require substantial fasteners.

I've already selected and rough dimensioned the white oak stock from 8' X 8"X 8/4" planks.

I picked up the adjustable drawer standards.  I'm thinking these may end up painted flat black to match the flocking.  This will be a design discussion with the customer.

I got the corners cut and I rough knocked up the outer frame.  

 I've started construction.  This is an extreme closeup of one of the corners.  These are joined with biscuits, glue and then counter nailed.  They will not come apart.  

Here's fitting up the top of the drawer section.  It's a nice tight fit.  

Here's another corner fitment zoomed in close.  
A look at the frame being assembled.
Here's a look at one of the bottom corners being joined up
 I checked the fit on the shelf standards.  I think these will be painted flat black to blend into  the black flocking.
 Another corner joint
 Here's very preliminary fit check on the drawer face.
 . . . and the drawer itself being roughed together

 Finally, a look at the front glass frame fitted up on the side frames
Below is the assembled cabinet.  I'm using temporary hinges for alignment purposes.  Ideally, I'll use 
a piano-type hinge.  If I can find a suitable one.

 It's not easy to see with my cluttered shopin the background,but the frame is open on the hinge
below.  and the drawer is in place and slightly opened.  I haven't built the drawer guides yet.

The inside corner of the front glass frame.  I chose to use irons to support the joints.  There's going to be a lot of weight cantilevered on the joints

I dialed in the drawer slides this weekend.  I'm using hardwood slides. 

 Here's a fairly uninteresting look at the end of a slide.
 I found a perfect piano hing at Rockler.  I only need to trim a couple of pieces off the ends and it will be a perfect fit.
I picked up a couple of knobs.  I think these will work nicely

 The adjustable shelves are ready to be sealed and flocked.  The shelves and the back panel will be covered with black flocking.   I notched the shelves to give the belt buckles a place to wedge against so they can be leaned against the back.  I cut the grooves a little under a 1/2" on one side and 3/4" on the other.  That way taller buckles will be more stable with the bigger lean angle.  
I've got some fine shaping to do and I have to build the crown moulding for the top and this baby will be ready to finish.

UPDATE 11/17/2014
Here was the crown moulding knocked up after I milled it.  I couldn't find what I wanted, so I made it out of the same material.  It eventually blended better than anything I could have bought pre-made.

 Here's the crown attached and being adjusted.
  I'm starting to build up the finish and dial in the fit.  

 The design calls for a finger grip in the door to add an unobtrusive handle to pull against the magnetic closures,

 Here's a top down look at the final finish tinted coat.  Now I have to put finish coats on, flock the shelves, back panel and drawer interior.

So below you can see the fixed shelves flocked, and in the background, the backpiece also flocked.  The adjustable shelf standards are installed and the shelves and drawer are finished.

A closer look at the flocked back piece. 

Next is final assembly and touch up work all around.  I also need to design some buckle stands for the fixed shelves and to allow them to use all of the shelf space.

OK, so here we go.  Don't let the dust on the front glass throw you.  All that's left is to clean it up, deliver and mount it.

UPDATE: My worst fears were realized.  I was concerned about the size of the door vs. the thin frame.  Simply put, the frame was too weak to support the weight of the door cantilevered off of the piano hinge.  The customer called me the following weekend and said the door was sagging noticeably -- Dave's guarantee kicked in and I took it back to the shop.
I needed to build a more massive frame for the door, about double the width I used for the original.  So, I secured some more oak and began building a new frame with 1.5 inch width and we decided to incorporate the "drawer" as a cosmetic piece and leave the hollow where the drawer was to gain additional storage.  

Above, a look at the new and wider frame.  Below, a look at the dummy drawer face.
I moved away from the piano hinge when I found these SOSS hinges.  Completely hidden and very stable.  I think the customer is going to be very pleased with the adjustments.  


CKDesigns said…
Wow that very detail stuff. I'm sure the finished product is going to be very nice.

Popular posts from this blog

Project Log -- Dining Room Table Repairs

Project Log - Historic Restoration - Updated 10/28/2017